History of the Granard Cup
The Granard Cup in aid of the National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) was established in 1933.
A group of golfing ladies accepted the challenge to provide a home teacher for people who were blind in every county in Ireland. The home teacher would visit homes – teaching Braille, handcrafts and help increase independence. Prominent women amongst the group were Maisie Kiely, Malahide G.C., Mrs. Watson, Grange G.C. and Miss Nugent, Milltown G.C.
They contacted the Countess of Granard, (American Millionairess of the tobacco company Ogden Mills) because money was the main need. Hence the Countess of Granard Golf Foursomes.
Over eighty years on from its inception, the Countess of Granard Golf Competition helps NCBI meet the cost of modern new services that help people who are blind and vision impaired today with new ways of being independent and coping with sight loss.